Monday, January 16, 2012

The Plan, Step by Step


Here Are The Basic Steps
Even Coca Cola was once just an idea.
(And no, I don't remember when it was
only a nickel.)
  1. Think of a product
  2. Make the product
  3. Let people know about the product
  4. Sell the product
  5. Do it all again with more products, over and over
  6. Make a gazillion dollars
I know, I know, that’s just stupid. Everybody knows that. If it was that easy, then why isn’t everyone doing it? 

A very, very good question. 

Here are some thoughts on why this grand plan ain’t happenin’.
  1. It’s uncomfortable -- Let’s face it, we’re creatures of comfort. We like things a certain way, and risk isn’t exactly the life preserver we’re all hanging our hat on. What if we fail? What if we have to get up and move from our unhappy but comfortable lives?
  2. It’s too hard, and I can’t possibly make it work -- “Knowledge about a thing is power, and ignorance keeps us in the dark, cowering and fearful.” The unknown can be frightening, or at the least daunting, and how am I supposed to know what to do next?
  3. I don’t have enough resources -- I need money to make money! I work 8, or 10, or 12 hours a day! And I have a dog! A kid! Ballet class at 7 in the old Fieldco Basement! When am I supposed to work on something else?
  4. I kind of like my miserable life -- Sometimes it’s a rut, but I enjoy the sympathy of those who love me, the empathy of those I work with, and maybe it’s the life I deserve. Also, it’s a good way to never find out if I could’ve done more, or better. That’s a disturbing thought, and one I can live without, thank you.
There are lots of reasons we can use to keep ourselves in the same place. I think the biggest one may be inertia mixed with a full belly. Hunger has to be one of the greatest motivators, and the comfort of staying in the same place, doing the same thing, is just too great to risk upsetting.
But here are the answers -- my answers -- to the above objections, and don’t worry, I’m still gonna take you through each of the steps, step by step by step.
  1. “It’s uncomfortable.” It is, and it can be a little stressful. But some stress is good stress, and that’s alright. Having a baby, getting a new job, your first check for selling something you made, these are all stressful, but it’s okay, they’re all good things. Energy intensive things, but good.
  2. “It’s too hard.” This is where we learn how to do it, step by step by step. I’m not spouting any guarantees here, either, but I’m gonna try to find my way, and hopefully help you along it, too, should you decide to follow along. Don’t worry, there aren’t going to be any pop quizzes, and the final is a take home.
  3. “I don’t have enough resources.” Neither do I. I have a new wife, a five year-old daughter, a seven year-old dog, and a twelve-hour per day commitment to a job that pays me so little that I usually wait until tax time before I can even think about new tires for my car. I’m happy, happier than I think I’ve ever been, but I’m poor in resources, too. I won’t let that stop me, though: I’ll figure out a way that’s dirt cheap in time and money to keep movin’ forward.
  4. “I kind of like my miserable life.” I’ve seen and felt like this before, but I finally took stock in how unhappy it was making me. And by “it,” I mean complaining and licking up the sympathy I was getting, and the passes I was giving myself (It’s uncomfortable, it’s too hard, I don’t have the resources!). I think the worst was knowing that I could, but wasn’t, doing anything to move at least a step forward. As soon as I realized that, I did a little something and asked for a promotion at my job. It was promised, and four months later when I ask about it it’s still in the works, but the point is that I took a step. And it feels worlds better than staying down.
At the beginning of this post, I listed the basic steps I’d use to make a gazillion dollars, but I haven’t listed the step by step by steps to get us going. I will, though, and while I may still wax philosophic from time to time, from here on out we’re gonna get a little more concrete. 
Take my hand, if you’re happy to do it. I’m about to make a gazillion dollars, and I’d be happy for the company on my way to the bank. Maybe we can learn something together. Or at least be glad knowing that we tried.
One step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment