Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Quick Note About (Lots of) Money


A Quick Note About (Lots of) Money

Family! Family Time!
Okay, so I won’t harp on this, but it does have a bearing on why I’m doing what I am: Money ain’t everything. There’s a lot more to my life than making money. Relationships, for one, are much more fulfilling to me. They last longer, too, but they require time and energy. For me, they’re worth it. I have a wife and a daughter among so many other family and friends, and their affection and goodwill can’t be bought with money, nor can I buy back the time spent in mindless pursuit of more. 

Also, life is important to me. I want to live it, and not be at the beck and call of making more money. I am not going to obsess over it, because I’m only doing this to free up my hands for doing more things that I want to while I’m able: Writing, traveling, playing video games on a television so big that the alien space bugs are life-sized. (Smile.)

On the other hand, money is great. Need dental work ‘cause your teeth are falling apart? Kid need braces? Water heater busted? Headaches because you can’t afford new glasses? Car just broke down? Again? I ain’t lookin’ to be filthy rich. I couldn’t care less about money. Recently, when I came into a little chunk, I ended up giving big bunches away until I was as broke as I am now. (Brother, can you spare a dime?) Anyway, what I’m sayin’ is this: Money is not a cure for being a jerk, or a potion for true love, or a prescription for happiness. But it does offer help for those who are hurting in more concrete ways. I am not interested in becoming so rich that I lose sight of myself, or others, but if it comes down to it, I’d like to not worry about buying a plane ticket to visit a sick uncle, or share in the joy of a distant cousin's wedding. I’d like to make enough to give something away without breaking my own bank, if that’s possible. I’d like to not worry about whether or not my family will have to do without medicine and medical care because of the rising costs of health coverage. I’d like to make enough money so that I can live my life, and have even more time to devote to those I love.

I think a gazillion dollars would do nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment